Venetian Processional Glaive
- Dated: late 17th century, early 18th century
- Measurements: head ~ 90cm; overall length ~ 223cm
- A comparable example is in the former armoury of The Council of Ten in the Palazzo Ducale, Venice, Italy
The glaive come with a long flat knife-like head double-edged over the upper third of its length, formed with a pair of scalloped nodules at the base. It is pierced with two rosettes within the lower half, the back edge formed with a matching nodular projection towards the point and a pair of projecting crescentic stylised monsters from a pierced rosette.
It has faceted socket on a moulded short neck and extending to form short straps, and the head is decorated with pricked and coarsely engraved baroque designs on both sides, principally over the lower half, including garlands of fruit and trophies of armour all’antica, enclosed with oval cartouches.
Source: © Hermann Historica
Spanish Presentation Dagger
- In the style of Eusebio Zuloaga
- Dated: 4 October 1863
- Measurements: Height: 24.5cm / 10 in
The steel hilt richly inlaid with silver and gold damascened scrollwork decoration, fitted with tapering double-edged blade, inlaid on the upper portion with the date 4 OCTUBRE 1863 on one side and TOLEDO on the other, amidst scrollwork. Complete with its original all-steel scabbard decorated en suite with gold and silver linear and floral patterns, the frog with inlaid monogram.
Eusebio Zuloaga was born in Madrid in 1808, the son of Blas Zuloaga of Eibar, armourer to the Royal Bodyguard and honorary Chief Armourer of the Royal Armoury. He himself was created Armero Mayor in 1856, he died in 1898.
Source & Copyright: Peter Finer
- Date: 19th century
- Culture: Caucasian
Source & Copyright: Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Measurments: lenght 52.5cm
Chinese Yuan-style sword with horn handle with two inserts.
Source & Copyright: Live Auctioneers
Indian Khanda Sword with Gold Inlaid Hilt
Single edged triple fuller blade, measuring 29 1/2 inches long, with a rounded tip. Metal hilt, with pointed languets, dual quillions, an ergonomic palmswell in the center and a wide disc pommel, all nearly covered with floral and scroll pattern gold inlaid designs.
Source & Copyright: iCollector
The Al-Ma’thur Sword
Al-Ma’thur, also known as “Ma’thur al-Fijar” is the sword which was owned by the prophet Muhammad before he received his first revelations in Mecca. It was willed to him by his father. The prophet Muhammad migrated with the sword from Mecca to Medina, and the sword remained with him until it was transferred, along with other war equipment, to Ali b. Abi Talib.
The blade is 99 cm in length. The handle is of gold in the shape of two serpents, and is encrusted with emeralds and turquoise. Near the handle is a Kufic inscription saying: ‘Abdallah b. ‘Abd al-Muttalib. Today the sword is housed in the Topkapi Museum, Istanbul.
Info souce: USNA
Photo source: Photograph taken from Muhammad Hasan Muhammad al-Tihami, Suyuf al-Rasul wa ‘uddah harbi-hi (Cairo: Hijr, 1312/1992)
- Dated: Edo Period
The pommel decorated in polychrome cloisonné with foliage inhabited by Kara-shishi against a light brown enamel ground. The saya cloisonné enamelled with a dragon on each side.
The habachi decorated with black cloisonné foliage and the saya decorated en suite to the haft and involving black enamel symbols. The copper mounts in polychrome cloisonné against a brown ground.
Source & Copyright: Peter Finer
French Veterans or Guild Dagger
Probably a one of a kind, Veterans, Guild or Masonic Lodge dagger. The French blade is a well made example of the late 18th and early 18th century, with a partial signature. The brass hilt and scabbard are remarkable in their detail. The scabbard bears a French Phrygian cap, a symbol of the Revolution as well as for Liberty in the American Revolution.
The flaming bomb and stacked cannon balls along with masonic square and compass, suggest a Guild or Lodge of Artillery Veterans. The owners initials, LL appear both on the scabbard as well as the hilt pommel. The brass hilt bears different classical images, in relief, on each side. The quillons may have been removed.
Source & Copyright: Antiques
Northern India and Persia (Iran) . Safavid period, c. 1587 – c. 1629
Steel, silver, gold, enamel, velvet, silk
Full length: 93 cm; blade length: 81 cm
This piece, dated to the 17th century, displays a blade of Persian make, in watered steel and of single blade. On one side, it displaus engraved cartouches inlayed in gold with two inscriptions: on the larger one Bandeye Shah Velaytat Abbas “the slave representative (of the King), of the kingdom, Abbas”. According to the interpretation of the specialist Manoucherhr Moshtagh Khorasani, the expression “King of the kingdom” refers to Hazrat Ali, the first Iman (religious authority) of Shi’ite Islam. In the second inscription, Amal-e Ali Kaneb “The work of Ali”.
The hilt is in silver and contains a decoration of enamelled floral and geometric motifs (minakari) in “cloisonné”, encompassing the pommel and the guards, in blue and green, in the style of the work made in Northern India, in Lucknow.
The wooden sheath, lined in blue velvet, is of later date.
From the Anthony C. Tirri collection.